A time-honored tradition at the State Fair of Texas, the AT&T Red River Showdown between the University of Texas Longhorns and the University of Oklahoma Sooners has been played at the State Fair since 1929. Even with the cancellation of this year’s State Fair of Texas, due to COVID-19, the rivalry will continue in Cotton Bowl Stadium and fans will get to say ‘howdy’ to Big Tex. With an 11:00 a.m.
Texas time kick-off, the State Fair is urging fans to arrive early to make sure they have plenty of time to go through security, not only into the fairgrounds but also into Cotton Bowl Stadium for the game. The State Fair is also urging fans to remember the clear bag policy in effect for Cotton Bowl Stadium by visiting BigTex.com/football and review precautions related to COVID-19.
Due to COVID-19, this year’s game is limited to 25% capacity. To provide fans with the best experience possible, while keeping health and safety top of mind, only a limited number of tickets will be distributed by the University of Texas and University of Oklahoma overseeing ticket distribution. Parking at the State Fair for the AT&T Red River Showdown can be accessed at Gates 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11. For guests parking in official State Fair parking lots, proof of a game ticket will be required before parking will be allowed. Please be prepared to show proof of game ticket when arriving to park. For the health and safety of all attendees, every guest in a car must have a valid 2020 game ticket to enter the fairgrounds on game day.
Fans are asked to do their part by conscientiously practicing physical/social distancing, frequently washing hands, using hand sanitizer, wearing face coverings, and entering the assigned gate on their ticket to ensure the safest possible environment for this year’s AT&T Red River Showdown. All fans should keep a safe distance between their party and other fans while inside and outside of Cotton Bowl Stadium.
Fans who are not feeling well or have been in close contact with someone they suspect may be infected with COVID-19 should stay home and contact their doctor.
Below are a few reminders for those attending the game at Cotton Bowl Stadium in Fair Park on Saturday, October 10, 2020. All times are in Texas time (Central Daylight Time).
- Due to an 11:00 a.m. local kick-off time, the State Fair will open early to allow fans to arrive in plenty of time for kick-off, so plan your travel to the fairgrounds accordingly.
- Official State Fair parking lots and entry gates will open at 8:00 a.m.
- Parking in official State Fair of Texas parking lots will be restricted to ticketholders and staff with permits.
- Valid 2020 game tickets must be presented to enter the parking lot and fairgrounds.
- Parking is $25 per car and can be accessed at Gates 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11. Daytime parking only. Payment options include cash, credit/debit cards, and Apple/Google Pay.
- There is available disabled parking in all lots and will be filled on a first come, first served basis.
- Rideshare (taxi, Uber, Lyft, Alto, etc.) drop off and pick up will be located at the Gate 1, which is located at Gurley Ave & S. Haskell Ave.
- Public tailgating in and around the State Fair of Texas campus will be prohibited for the 2020 season.
- Due to COVID-19, valet service will not be available for 2020.
- For the health and safety of all attendees, appropriate cloth or surgical-style masks that cover the nose and mouth completely will be required at all times while on campus of the State Fair and in Cotton Bowl Stadium.
- Other face coverings including clear face shields, gaiters/buffs, bandanas, or masks with valves are not permitted.
- Masks may be removed temporarily only if necessary, for eating and drinking while in the stadium seating bowl or in common areas.
- Outdoor concessions, including some of your State Fair favorites, will open at 8:00 a.m. Payment options include cash or credit/debit cards. Historic State Fair coupons will not be accepted, due to the cancellation of the 2020 State Fair of Texas.
- Gates into Cotton Bowl Stadium and concessions inside the stadium will open at 9:00 a.m.
- To facilitate the safest entry into the stadium, fans will be required to enter Cotton Bowl Stadium at the assigned gate listed on their ticket and all tickets will be scanned upon entry to the stadium. Tickets will indicate gate entry based on seat location.
- For the safety of all game attendees, a clear bag policy continues to be in effect for all events at Cotton Bowl Stadium within Fair Park. Visit BigTex.com/football for more details.
- DART trains and buses will become more crowded as game-time approaches and at locations closer to Fair Park.
- The Fair has enhanced its metal detection procedures at all pedestrian gates to include walkthrough metal detectors. Please read any signage and listen to gate attendants for directions upon entry.
- For a list of prohibited items in the Cotton Bowl, visit BigTex.com/football.
Our number one priority is the health and safety of everyone involved. With that in mind, we will be implementing the following health and safety protocols, in addition to others recommended by the local, state, and federal government and other relevant health agencies:
- Social distancing of six (6) feet or more between parties when on the fairgrounds or in Cotton Bowl Stadium.
- Guests are required to wear a protective face mask to protect themselves and all parties.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be placed throughout the grounds.
- All team members are required to wear protective face masks to safely cover their mouth and nose at all times.
- All team members are subject to temperature checks upon arriving at work.
- All team members are required to wash hands prior to starting work and frequently during shifts and between tasks.
- All team members handling food are required to wear gloves and change them frequently during shifts and between tasks.
The Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru – a special event for 2020 in lieu of the annual 24-day exhibition – will not be operational on game day, but tickets are available in the days leading up to and after the game for Friday, October 9, Sunday, October 11, and Monday, October 12. Tickets must be purchased online in advance at BigTex.com/DriveThru.