The 36th Annual GrapeFest hosted the People’s Choice Wine Tasting Classic, sponsored by Classic Chevrolet, a competition of 37 Texas wineries in which festival-goers had the chance to taste 136 of Texas’ finest wines and vote for their favorites. This signature event, located in the Historic Cotton Belt Depot District, is one of the most popular at GrapeFest and is the largest consumer-judged wine competition in the nation.
Eleven 90-minute Tasting Sessions were held between Thurs., Sept. 15 and Sun., Sept. 18. Guests received a wine reference guide describing featured wines along with a ballot. Wine was judged across 10 categories (White: Dry, Off Dry, Sweet, Blends, Blush/ Rose; Red: Light, Medium, Bold, Sweet and Blends), and awards were presented to winning wineries on Sun., Sept. 18 at 5 p.m. in the People’s Choice Pavilion.
Awards are as follows:
- Gold: Whiskey Road Winery – Viognier, 2021
- Silver: Llano Estacado Winery – Sauvignon Blanc, 2021
- Bronze: Arché – Chardonnay, 2017
White: Off Dry
- Gold: Messina Hof Winery – Tribute Series Riesling, 2021
- Silver: Blue Ostrich Winery – Esprit, 2019
- Bronze: Tara Vineyard & Winery – Blueberry Blanc, 2020
- Gold: Messina Hof Winery – Angel, Late Harvest Riesling, NV
- Silver: Landon Winery – Yellow Rose, NV
- Bronze: Texas Legato – Eyes of Texas Sweet Peggy Sue, NV
- Gold: Silver Dollar Winery – IM’Peached, 2019
- Silver: Bingham Family Vineyards – Cloudburst, NV
- Bronze: Hilmy Cellars – Doo-Zwa-Zo, 2021
- Gold: Silver Dollar Winery – IM’Paired, 2019
- Silver: Whiskey Road Winery – Rosé, 2020
- Bronze: O’Farrell Country Vineyards – Sassy Sisters, 2021
- Gold: Messina Hof Winery – GSM, 2020
- Silver: Bull Lion Ranch – Sangiovese, 2019
- Bronze: Juniper Cove Winery – Black Zin, NV
- Gold: Landon Winery – Tempranillo, 2019
- Silver: Bull Lion Ranch – Montepulciano, 2019
- Bronze: Messina Hof Winery – Heritage Reserve, 2020
- Gold: Landon Winery – The Texan, 2020
- Silver: Llano Estacado Winery – Bourbon Barrel Cabernet Sauvignon, 2019
- Bronze: Bull Lion Ranch – Malbec, 2019
- Gold: Texas Legato – Eyes of Texas Sweet Surrender, NV
- Silver: Landon Winery – Red Rose, NV
- Bronze: Bingham Family Vineyards – Fine ‘n Dandy, 2019
- Gold: Blue Ostrich Winery – Empty Sea, 2019
- Silver: Bull Lion Ranch – Tordigione Family Reserva, 2019
- Bronze: Bingham Family Vineyards – Dirt Farmer, 2018
Texas wineries in attendance at the People’s Choice Wine Tasting Classic included: Arché Winery, Bar Z Winery, Becker Vineyards, Bingham Family Vineyards, Blue Ostrich Winery, Bluff Dale Vineyards, Bull Lion Ranch & Vineyard, Cassaro Winery & Vineyards, Checkered Past, Frascone Winery, Frio Canyon Vineyard, Hilmy Cellars, Horn Winery, H-Wines, Juniper Cove Winery, Kissing Tree Vineyards, Landon Winery, Llano Estacado Winery, Los Pinos Ranch Vineyards, Lost Oak Winery, Messina Hof Winery & Resort, O’Farrell Country Vineyards, Pillar Bluff Vineyards, Reddy Vineyards, Rio to Red, Saviana Winery, Silver Dollar Winery, Tara Vineyard & Winery, Texas Heritage Vineyard, Texas Legato, Valle Della Pace Vineyards & Winery, Valley Mills Vineyards, Watson Vineyard, Whiskey Road Winery and William Chris Vineyards.
A Celebration of Texas Wines
The 36th Annual GrapeFest – A Texas Wine Experience, presented by Bank of the West, is a celebration of Texas wines. Home to over 470 wineries and over 4,500 acres of vineyards producing nearly 3 million gallons of Texas wine each year, Texas is the fifth largest wine-producing state in the U.S. And Grapevine has earned its reputation as the headquarters of Texas’ wine industry, home to a vibrant Urban Wine Trail along Historic Main Street that offers daily wine tastings and special events throughout the year. GrapeFest is the largest wine festival of the Southwest and was held September 15, 16, 17 and 18, 2022, in historic Grapevine, featuring the very best of Texas-grown wines as well as premium selections from guest wineries in the California Sonoma Valley and Italian Sicily region. In addition to People’s Choice Wine Tasting Classic, guests enjoyed the Liberty Park Plaza Wine Experience and Champagne Terrace, as well as area wine pavilions and award-winning winery tasting rooms on Grapevine’s Urban Wine Trail. In addition to tasting experiences, the four-day event offered nonstop live entertainment, including country crooner Jack Ingram and pop diva Taylor Dayne, a carnival, Kid Zone, artisan marketplace and more—all on Grapevine’s Historic Main Street.
About Bank of the West
Bank of the West is proud to be an Independent Community Bank, headquartered in Grapevine and serving North Texas for more than three decades, helping to create flourishing communities by putting your dollars to work locally, with decisions made locally. Bank of the West is a member of the FDIC and presenting sponsor of the 36th Annual GrapeFest – A Texas Wine Experience. Additional sponsors for this year’s festival include Gaylord Texan Resort and Convention Center, TEXRail Trinity Metro, Texas Ace Heating & Air, Hilton DFW Lakes, 121 Community Church, LEGOLAND Discovery Center, Texas Gun Experience, Grapevine Golf Cars, and many more.
About Grapevine, Texas
Historic Grapevine, Texas—centrally located between Dallas and Fort Worth—is the premiere go-to destination when planning a getaway or vacation in North Texas, providing guests a sophisticated escape from the big city. Step back in time on Historic Downtown Main Street and visit the more than 80 charming locally-owned shops, boutiques, jewelry stores, winery tasting rooms, restaurants and artisans. Guests can unwind at one of the many award-winning winery tasting rooms and rest easy at one of the city’s exceptional hotels, like Gaylord Texas Resort & Convention Center or Great Wolf Lodge, which features an indoor water park. Take advantage of recreation on Lake Grapevine as well as over nine miles of wilderness and biking trails. Hop aboard the Grapevine Vintage Railroad or experience late 19th century farm life at historic Nash Farm. Whether you enjoy indoor or outdoor activities, Grapevine has something for everyone. For more information, visit GrapevineTexasUSA.com.