Cannabis is a versatile plant and one way to enjoy the benefits of this herb without smoking it, is to infuse it in some butter. This blog post serves as a tutorial to show you how you can make the best cannabis infused butter on your own at home, using the proper technique and quality ingredients. By following these easy steps, you can create a delicious and potent cannabis infused butter that you can use in many recipes or simply just spread on some warm toast. So keep reading to learn more.
What you will need
Before you get started with making your cannabutter, you will need to gather some tools and ingredients. Some things you will have in your home and some will have to purchase however, you will need the following:
- 1 gram of quality dry cannabis flower
- Wooden spoon
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
For the actual making of the cannabutter you will need:
- Unsalted butter
- Small saucepan
- ¼ cup of water
- Fine mesh strainer
- Candy thermometer
- A storage container that is food safe
You must use high-quality weed that you can find at Canna Cabana because it will impact the flavor and potency of the final product. A lot of edibles use cannabutter that is made with something called trim and shakes which are leaves that are trimmed from the cannabis flowers after harvest. Trim and shake tends to have a bitter taste so it is recommended that you rather cook with hash or grinder kief. When shopping for weed also keep in mind the THC and CBD ratio. A balanced high requires a strain that has a 1:1 THC to CBD ratio.
To make your cannabutter, you must follow this process:
- First on the listed agenda is to decarboxylate your cannabis which is the process of baking your weed. This process allows the THC, CBD, and other cannabinoids to be activated as well as for the lipids in oil and butter to bind easier to the weed to create a better cannabis infusion. To do this you need to:
- Preheat oven at 220 degrees F
- Break apart the desired amount of cannabis using scissors or a grinder. The cannabis needs to be fine.
- Spread plant material evenly onto a baking dish or sheet pan.
- Put in the oven for 45 minutes or 20 minutes if you’re using low-quality cannabis.
- Frequently check on weed and mix gently every 10 minutes and once cannabis turns deep brownish-green in color, it is ready.
- Next is the process of stovetop infusion which requires:
- Add water and butter to a medium saucepan on very low heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add decarboxylated cannabis and put the lid on the saucepan after mixing well.
- Let the mixture simmer for 4 hours and stir every 30 minutes to ensure the butter does not burn. You can use a thermometer to check that the temperature does not exceed 180 degrees.
- After 4 hours, strain with a metal strainer into a container and allow the butter to cool down until room temperature.
- Use immediately or freeze in a mason jar for upward of 6 months.
Tips for making the best cannabis infused butter
There are a few things to consider when making cannabutter. To make the most out of your cannabutter and enhance the flavor, you should use a strain of cannabis that has citrus, peppery, or herbal terpenes. Once your butter has been made, you must store it correctly and the best way to do this is to store your butter in a cool and dark place such as a fridge or freezer because this will maintain the potency. The storage container also needs to be airtight or alternative, you can use a freezer-safe bag. Cannabutter can be added to many recipes including baking recipes or you can melt it and combine it with olive oil in a salad dressing. The stronger the strain of weed you use, the stronger your cannabutter will be so bear that in mind, generally, a potent cannabutter is better. Good quality weed and other ingredients are what make a good quality cannabutter.