The San Antonio Cocktail Conference (January 10-14) provides eye-opening inspiration and mad skills you’ll want to practice on friends, as well as hands-on seminars to help you achieve your mighty status. Be sure you have the right stuff at home to proudly wear the crown of Mix Master. If you need to brush up on your drink-making skills, check out Mixology 101and Mixology 201.
- Lewis bag and mallet: The classy way to crack and crush ice without destroying a kitchen towel.
- Muddler: An ingenious tool for extracting oils and flavor from herbs and fruits.
- Jigger: Look for a combo piece that provides 1 oz. and ¾ oz. pours.
- Bar spoon: The long handle will come in handy when cocktails are stirred, not shaken.
- Citrus peeler: For appealing citrus zing.
- Handheld citrus press: To extract momentous juiciness a la minute.
- A solid cocktail recipe book: We recommend The Essential Cocktail: The Art of Mixing Perfect Drinks by the legendary Dale Degroff, a frequent San Antonio Cocktail Conference presenter and attendee.