by Steven Doyle
Trinity River Revel Festival takes place from 10 am to 10 pm on Sunday June 15. The (mostly) free event will celebrate the grand opening of the new park on the Continental Avenue Bridge, the new West Dallas Gateway Plaza, the new Trinity Skyline trail for hikers and cyclists and the redesigned Sylvan Avenue Bridge.
18 events make up the festival. They include:
- A long-table gospel brunch for up to 500, prepared by 40 of the city’s top chefs (Matt McAllister, Sharon van Meter, Omar Flores, Janice Provost etc.) and served on the new Continental Avenue Bridge over the Trinity River while five gospel groups from West Dallas perform.
- An exhibit of doors donated by Habitat for Humanity and artistically reimagined by some of the city’s premier artists (doors will be up for auction during the festival)
- A pop-up driving range from which golfers can knock earthen balls packed with wildflower seeds into the river basin.
- A 1930s style danceathon on the Continental Avenue Bridge, complete with Big Band ensemble and speak easy
- A riverbed playground with activities organized by Big Thought, the Dallas chapter of the American Institute of Architects, the Trinity River Audubon Center, the Dallas Zoo and several local cultural centers (Oak Cliff, Bath House, South Dallas etc.)
All the information you need about this one-time, first-of-its-kind festival can be found at this website.