If you are ever looking for a satisfying, tasty and wholesome meal to share with your family, stress no more, indulge in this essential and nourishing Chicken and Rice recipe to kick off your week.
Some people may look over this dish and consider it too troublesome, but the reality is, you can make large portions of both chicken and rice in a relatively short time and even store it for the rest of the week, which is super helpful for those who love meal-prepping to save time later.
Both ingredients makes for a well-balanced meal
Chicken, when cooked right, is a fantastic high-quality protein source, it aids muscle growth and provides important minerals and vitamins for the body functions. On the other hand, Rice is a comfort food by itself but it can be elevated into many delicious dishes from different cultures and places around the world. It is an important source of energy due to its carbohydrate levels. Additionally, it’s naturally gluten free, making it a valuable option for those who struggle with celiac disease.
All in all, the combo of these rich ingredients creates a well-rounded meal suitable for all ages and taste buds. The simplicity and affordability of the dish gives for a wide variety of healthy options to incorporate in your menu, adding other elements as well like cheese or vegetables.
Check this Cheesy Chicken and Rice recipe with Broccoli for example: https://minuterice.com/recipes/cheesy-chicken-and-rice/. It will provide you with a loaded amount of crucial vitamins, fiber and energy compacted in a bowl of yumminess.
If you want to take an easy first approach, follow this step-by-step One Pot Chicken and Rice recipe to bring some cozy flavor to your lunch.
Here is what you need
- 2 tsp. paprika.
- 1 tsp. dried oregano.
- 1 tsp. dried thyme (another teaspoon of oregano is OK if you can’t use thyme).
- ½ tsp. garlic powder.
- ½ tsp. onion powder (or ¼ cup of chopped onion).
- ¼ tsp. salt.
- ¼ tsp. pepper.
- 25 lbs. boneless and skinless chicken thighs.
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil.
- 1 diced yellow onion.
- 1 cup of uncooked long-grain white rice.
- 75 cups of vegetable broth.
Note: You could use chicken breast instead of thighs, just be aware it might not be as tender or juicy. Make sure it is boneless though, otherwise it will take more time to cook and as a result it will not be done by the time the rice is finished.
For garnish (optional):
- 1 tbsp. of chopped parsley.
How to: One Pot Chicken and Rice recipe
- In a small bowl, mix the paprika, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. This will be the seasoning to coat both sides of the chicken thighs.
- In a deep skillet over medium heat, add 1 tbsp. of cooking oil and swirl to coat the surface of the skillet as much as possible. Once hot, add the seasoned chicken thighs. Cook for a few minutes on each side or until well browned. Beware, you don’t need to cook the chicken through at this point.
- Once the chicken is brown, remove and add to a clean plate. Reduce the heat of the skillet to medium-low and add the other tbsp. of cooking oil and the diced onion. Sauté the onion for around 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the cup of uncooked rice and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes to toast the rice.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the skillet with the rice and briefly stir.
- Place the chicken back in the skillet, setting it on top of the rice. Cover with a lid and turn the heat up to medium-high, allowing the broth to come up to a full boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and let the chicken and rice continue to simmer. Leave it untouched for 20 minutes. After this time is up, turn off the heat and let it rest, again untouched, for an additional 5 minutes.
- You are almost done! Remove the lid and use a fork to gently fluff the rice around the chicken. Once finished, you can use the parsley to garnish or any other preferred topping.
Serve! Just the smell will be enough to lure you in. Do not hesitate to try this superb multi-ingredient recipe and get your head nodding to an amazing taste.