Combahee Plantation is located on the banks of the Combahee River which is considered to be the jewel of the ACE Basin (Ashepoo, Edisto, and Combahee (ACE) Rivers). The property was originally part of a royal land grant from the King of England to Daniel Heyward (1720-1777) patriarch of the Heyward family of rice planters. It was known throughout Antebellum times as Hamburg.
One of Heyward’s sons, Thomas, was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The original house on the plantation was burned during the Civil War and the present house was built in 1871-1872. An 1830 frame cottage was moved from elsewhere on the plantation and stands adjacent to the main house. During the Antebellum Era there was a tribe of Natives called Yamasee Tribe which are now extinct but some African Americans carry the lineage of the Yamasee Tribe due to intermarriage and relations. Continue reading