It’s time to gear up once again for one of our favorite times of the year, Hatch Chile Season. No one does Hatch Chile’s better in Dallas than Central Market with all the grandeur deserving the flavorful pepper.
For those that participated in the season last year know it was a particularly spicy season with even the mild versions having an extra bit of kick. It will be interesting to see how the weather this year affects the peppers on the Scoville front.
This will mark the 16th season for Central Market since they first fired up their first batch of chilies creating a great stir that has continued to gain momentum as one of the market’s top festivities.
Central Market kicks off their Annual Hatch Chile Festival on Wednesday, August 17, when they fire up the black, authentic chile roasters. The festival is a salute to the seasonal return of the famous peppers, fresh from Hatch, New Mexico that are harvested for only a few weeks out of the year, aren’t grown anywhere else in the world, and connoisseurs consider them some of the finest.
- Here is what Central Market has planned for this year:
- More than 250,000 peppers delivered to Central Market each year – that’s more than any other retailer in the country.
- Hatch Roti Meal Deal only $14.99– Hatch Rotisserie Chicken, Hatch Chile Mac and Cheese, and a Family Garden Salad.
- Four brand new Hatch quesadillas– Hatch Chicken Eggplant, Bison Hatch Pepper Quesadilla, Shrimp with Hatch Cilantro Pesto, and Cowboy Quesadilla with Flank Steak and Hatch peppers.
- The 5th Annual No-Holds-Barred Hatch Chile Recipe Contest kicking off online August 3. Jump in this one, it’s fun and easy.
- Don’t cook? Eat and JUDGE! Enter online to be a Hatch recipe contest judge this year.
- First Ever Central Market IPhone App! The Hatch iPhone app is loaded with fun recipes and a new video on ways to use Hatch (Think Hatch Bloody Mary; Roasted Hatch and Fiery Serrano Salsa; and Hatch Fettuccini w Creamy Pesto Heat!)
- Hatch happenings in the Central Market Cooking School, from classes like Healthy Hatch: Featuring Chef Johnny Carino of PBS
- Break Me Off a Piece of That and the Hatch Chile Cookout.
- In-store cooking demonstrations and Hatch-inspired food samplings.
CraveDFW will be participating in the events and will be reporting in on the pepper fun. We will also have some contests to win Hatch dinners and prizes, so watch for these events here. This is almost like Christmas for us.